National Moth Week is almost here! Held the third week of July each year, NMW is a great time to find local blacklighting events, or you could even host your own! NEES Treasurer Deb Lievens compiled this list of NMW events in the New England area:
- July 22, 6:30pm, UNH Cooperative Extension is pairing with local moth enthusiasts Siobhan Basile and NEES Treasurer Deb Lievens for a family friendly event at the Burley Farm in Epping, NH (download flyer here).
- July 22, 7:30pm, Mass Audubon, Moose Hill Sanctuary, 293 Moose Hill Parkway, Sharon, MA. NEES member Steven Whitebread will be presenting!
- The Caterpillar Lab is hosting three caterpillar-themed daytime events:
- July 22, 10am-4pm, Acton Discovery Museum, 177 Main St., Acton, MA
- July 24, 12pm-5pm, The Caterpillar Lab, 166 Emerald St., Keene, NH
- July 26, 1:30pm-4:30pm, South Shore Nature Center, 48 Jacobs Ln., Norwell, MA
- July 26, 7:30-9:30pm, The Nature Conservancy Ossipee Pine Barrens Preserve, Route 41, Ossipee, NH. Register online at www.nature.org/nhevents
There are also other insect-themed events planned during the week, including:
- July 22, 9am-11:30am, Rumney, NH, Dragonflies and Damselflies of Quincy Bog: Walk the Quincy Bog trail with local naturalist John Williams and learn the fundamentals of how to observe, catch, identify and release these diverse insects. John will draw on his many years of work with the U.S. Forest Service and as a volunteer with the NH Dragonfly and Damselfly Survey. Seventy different damselflies and dragonflies have been documented in the town of Rumney! (Rain date 7/23)
Are you having a NMW event that we forgot to mention here? Drop us a line and we’ll update the page! You can also explore other events near you.